Rescue Volunteer Workshop
January 16, 2024
Rescue Volunteer Workshop - 24 Feb 2024
Learn to rescue marine animals and support our Coffs Coast wildlife
What do you do if you see a sick or injured sea turtle? How do you help a seal in distress?
Join qualified and experienced Marine Science experts from the Coffs Coast Wildlife Sanctuary to learn the skills that you’ll need to identify and rescue an injured marine animal and increase their chances of survival.
Specifically, this course covers sea turtles, whales, dolphins and seals.
This one-day workshop led by our marine care experts will cover
- How to rescue a sea turtle, how we care for and nurse them on-site in our marine animal rescue and rehabilitation facility and how to participate in a successful release back to the ocean.
- Identifying a seal in distress or with an injury, and what to do next
- Identifying turtle tracks and nesting locations
- Animal handling and rescue, including capture and transport of marine animals
- Anatomy and ID of marine species
- Common causes of injury and diseases in marine wildlife
- First aid for marine wildlife
- Hands on training with marine animals at the Sanctuary
- Record keeping and reporting.
- Legislation and regulations on marine wildlife
- Insurance and compliance requirements
- Access to our animal rescue app
On completion of this one-day course, volunteers will be certified by the Coffs Coast Wildlife Sanctuary for three consecutive years (refresher courses available).
When: Saturday 24 February 2024
Time: 9 am – 3pm with lunch break – lunch available from the Peckish Penguin Café (not included)
Where: Coffs Coast Wildlife Sanctuary, Coffs Harbour
Includes: one day workshop led by our marine care experts. Includes entry to Coffs Coast Wildlife Sanctuary and hands-on demonstrations of care and handling of sea turtles, anatomy of seals. On completion of this one-day course, volunteers will be certified by the Coffs Coast Wildlife Sanctuary for three consecutive years. Annual member ship to the sanctuary for all year entry and discounts for friends and family, 15% of gift shop, peckish penguin drinks, events and more. Includes CCWS rescue high vis vest.
Participants aged 16+ (participants 16 – 18 years require permission from a parent/guardian)
People passionate about saving our local marine wildlife.
NB. This workshop does not cover rescue of marine birds. A separate marine bird program will be offered free of charge to attendees.
Cost: $149 per person
CCWS Cap: $20
CCWS Bucket hat: $30
CCWS Volunteer shirt: $50
Peckish Penguin Cafe avaliable for lunch.